It’s official .. in 2 separate reports Glasgow is both
1 – The most violent city in the UK
2 – The city were people feel their life is least worthwhile.
What a couple of depressing statistics, if you believe them.
I’m a Glasgow guy, born and bred, originally from one of the roughest parts of the city (Govan) and proud of it.
Is Glasgow violent or worthless?
Not a chance!
Glasgow is one of the most vibrant cultural cities that I’ve been to and is no more violent than London, Rome, Manchester or Barcelona.
Glasgow has far more cultural events and concerts than Rome , Barcelona. or Paris and arguably Edinburgh and Manchester, second only to London with its plethora of West End theatres.
Okay there is social deprivation in the surrounding areas. of the Greater Glasgow area. There is a significant percentage of the community trapped in the benefits system. However that is the same throughout the country and has only got worse in the current econmic climate where opportunities are short.
But that only affects a relatively small minority compared with the majority of hard-working independent people who get on with their lifes and enjoy everything that the city has to offer.
- A vast range of concert venues, not least the Clyde Walkway Area with the SEC, Clyde Auditorium and The Hydro within touching distance of each other.
- The widest range of modern and traditional museums and art galleries including the Gallery of Modern Art, Science Museum, Burrell Collection, People Palace and Kelvingrove Art Gallery. and all of these are available free to the public.
- Fantastic architecture throughout the city, not least by Alexander Greek Thomson and Charles Rennie Macintosh
- A wide selection of bars, nightclubs and restuarants of any cuisine you could desire.
- The gateway to Loch Lomond and the Scottish Highlands
- Three world class football stadiums. ( Yeah even if it pains me to say that! )
Sure, if you go to the wrong areas, you will find the violence that haunts this city and its “No Mean City” reputation, but only if you go looking for it.
Glasgow is no mean city, it’s not mean, it is far from mean.
Glasgow people are friendly, warm and welcoming to strangers. Much friendlier than Edinburgh even if that city is more affluent.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Edinburgh and everything it has to offer, but I love Glasgow, my heart lies here.
Glasgow is a warm,, welcoming city, it has moved on since those days of deprivation and poverty that engulfed the city and it doiesn’t deserve the stereo-typical reputation that some people seem only too happy to potray.
We have come a long way.